Sunday Worship with the Barefoot Doctors

Dr. Bruce Gross shares the following post with us...

Hi All,

I write this blog on Sunday after joining the Burmese students for their traditional church service.  

What a great, yet humbling experience.   They sang and prayed, prayed and sang, and then sang and prayed some more.  That was followed by a message in Burmese and then communion.  The service was 2 hours long. 

Many of the songs were in English (broken English) and some in Burmese.   As we sang What a Friend We have in Jesus together, I was humbled by the fact that most of my brothers and sisters in the Lord were not nearly as fortunate as I, and yet they were as content and happy as could be.  

Some are pastors and others are pastor’s wives, businessmen, and farmers.  Most have lost at least one sibling or child to illness.  Some live in such a remote location that it takes 1 week to get to medical care.  Some have no running water or electricity in their home.  Yet, they don’t feel sorry for themselves, and they are not looking for pity or a handout.  

They don’t try to fit God into their life, God is their life.  And, they have learned the meaning of Hebrews 13:5,  “Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things that you have: for He has said, I will never leave your or forsake you.”  Oh to God, that some of that attitude would rub off on me.  

Communion with them was so special.   As I partook of the elements, I really felt as one with them, one in Christ, co-laborers in His kingdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment