Observations on a Mission Trip

David Dunn, one of the volunteers from New Hope Christian Church in Virginia, shared the following observations and reflections.  I think you'll find them interesting and informative.
Jon
David writes...
As some of you know, this is my first mission trip experience to a faraway place like Thailand.   It’s only taken 62 years to finally commit to doing something like this!  But who’s counting?  It certainly helped that I was able to arrange my formal retirement from General Dynamics Corporation to coincide with the departure date for this trip.  GD was very accommodating, and that made it possible for me to travel on the same New Hope Christian Church itinerary as Pastor Jon and Dan Higgins. 

I must say the opportunity to come and support the Barefoot Doctors Program has been a superb way to begin the transition from working in the Aerospace and Defense industry for more than 38 years to living life as a retiree.   Among the things my wife, Jill, and I hope to do now is to give back a portion of our time and talent to those in need.  I’m grateful to actually be on the ground lending support where I can.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention we are also expecting our first grandchild in early March, shortly after we return home.  (It’s a girl!)  The graduation timing for the 2020 Barefoot Doctors class on February 28th matches up nicely with getting us home before her anticipated arrival.  God’s timing is perfect and our whole family is excited about the new addition. 

So far, the agenda here has been full, with training and other activities going on constantly.  With three (3) meals a day and snacks in between, there’s also been a lot of really good eating occurring.  Jon of course met the students on his previous mission trip back in 2018 and knows the faculty and staff quite well after the number of years he’s been involved with the mission.  Dan and I, on the other hand, are meeting most for the first time with the exception of Timothy whom we met in Virginia a few years ago during one of his visits.  The staff, doctors and nurse trainers have been very welcoming.

 As mentioned in an earlier posting, I’ve been privileged to lead a couple of devotional times for the students following the dinner hour and will offer another this evening as well.  Timothy and Abraham are fantastic interpreters.

Dan and I finished the bench project this morning and will be engaging in other high priority maintenance projects starting tomorrow.  Jon and I played volleyball with some of the students a few days ago.  I quickly realized I’m not 25 years old anymore and therefore didn’t contribute much to my team.

It’s evident from the unity and teamwork all around the mission that God is blessing the program. Again, it’s a privilege to be here and to observe what’s going on first hand.  The training being provided exceeds my expectations a lot.   I’m confident they’ll make a huge impact (both physically and spiritually) to those they will serve back in their Burmese villages when they return next week. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to go as a team to Thailand. It will be s trip you will always remember.

    ReplyDelete