Graduation Thoughts from Dr. Bruce Gross


I just attended the graduation ceremony for the 2020 Barefoot Doctor class. Wow! What a time of celebration. The students have worked so hard and accomplished so much.  I’m very proud of them.

The students came in their native dress.  So colorful and unique, each having pride in their heritage.  

The ceremony conferred the Barefoot Doctor degree upon them, but more importantly, it authenticated their training and empowered them to go back to their villages with confidence and expectation.  Their training will open up doors to villages where the gospel is not otherwise welcomed by the village leaders.  

As I watch the students celebrating and taking pictures (endlessly), I think of the dichotomy.  They look so beautiful, colorfully dressed, almost uppity by Burmese standards, but in 1 week they will all have returned to their villages, wearing regular tattered clothing, limited availability of food, terrible mattresses, limited water supply, outhouses, ……..you get the picture.

And yet, they are happy, joyful, and enthusiastic.  “Things” don’t matter to them. They have their newly acquired skills, along with a passion for the lost.  That combination, makes them a dynamo, a spiritual force that will take the fight to the devil as they pierce the darkness with the Light of the Word.

The Barefoot Doctor anchor scripture is Luke 9:6, They began going throughout the villages preaching the gospel and healing everywhere”.  These young men and women are the closest thing to the New Testament apostles that you will find, given the charge to go out, minister to the sick, and preach the gospel. 

I can hardly wait to hear the stories that come out their ministry in the days ahead. I anticipate stories of healing (both with medication and with the laying on of hands), stories of villagers coming to Christ, and stories of revival in villages. 

On a personal note, God has challenged me in my personal walk with Him. I have heard the Holy Spirit clearly say, “Bruce, you can do better”.  The students have been an inspiration to me and are truly genuine believers with a servant’s heart. My prayer is, “Lord, make me more like the students”.

Thank you so much for your support and your prayers.  
Bruce




No comments:

Post a Comment